Two days ago I was out in the woods at the crack of dawn, listening to cacophony of noises that only happens early in the morning in the woods. As I was enjoying the crisp, cool air that brought with it the very first signs of fall, I was reminded that life is really worth living.
You are watching: Can dogs eat chocolate chip cookies
I feel that way when I’m hiking or kayaking, but I also feel like that about food – especially fresh from the oven chocolate chip cookies. They are so good when the chocolate is melty and the cookie is soft and the fresh baked smell is wafting off of it. Yum.
Unfortunately, my dogs like chocolate chip cookies as much as I do and will try and finagle their way into one. Of course, I’m a responsible dog owner so I NEVER give my dogs chocolate. Never ever. But if your dog ate a chocolate chip cookie here is what you need to know.
Why Chocolate is Bad for Your Dog – Theobromine Toxicity in Dogs
Even with a small amount of chocolate it’s always better to be safe than sorry. There is no such thing as dog safe chocolate, and seeking professional help is a good idea when your dog consumes it.
Call your vet with the type and amount of chocolate your pet has consumed or check with the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-764-7661.
If the dose is small, your vet may have you simply monitor your dog. If it was a larger dose (like they ate a whole box of chocolate chip cookies) you may need emergency treatment.
If your dog is showing symptoms of chocolate poisoning like these from Pet MD:VomitingDiarrheaIncreased body temperatureIncreased reflex responsesMuscle rigidityRapid breathingIncreased heart rateLowblood pressureSeizuresAdvanced signs (cardiac failure, weakness, and coma)
Then take your dog to an emergency vet IMMEDIATELY. Chocolate can and does kill dogs when enough of it is consumed. It’s not something to play around with.
See more: How Did The Spanish Explorers Save Gas, Graph Answer Key
There is, however, fake chocolate for dogs just like their is for humans. Dogs can eat carob without danger.
Summary: My Dog Ate a Chocolate Chip Cookie!
First, don’t panic. If you can, find out exactly how much chocolate your dog ate and when they ate it. Then call your vet or the Pet Poison Helpline. If your dog is displaying symptoms of chocolate poisoning take them to an emergency vet immediately.