The waters turn off the Oregon coastline are house to at the very least 17 species of sharks. If they frequently get a negative rep (thanks, Jaws), most of Oregon’s sharks are pretty harmless. Tho don’t believe it? follow to the Oregon shore Aquarium, there is no document of a fatal shark assault in Oregon due to the fact that 1975.
You are watching: Great white shark in columbia river
1. Great white sharkWhile not the biggest on the list, they’re definitely the most an effective and dangerous. Lock can grow up come 20 feet and also weigh nearly 4,000 pounds.
Of the 28 recorded unprovoked shark attacks in Oregon, 27 have involved an excellent white sharks. The many recent remained in 2016 at Indian Beach when a surfer suffered a leg injury after ~ a shark little bit him.
2. Basking sharkThis shark can prosper up to 40 feet long — making the the biggest shark discovered in Oregon waters. If it has an enormous gaping mouth and also an uncanny resemblance to white sharks, it’s a harmless fish. They’re every “bask” and also no bite. Although the has much more teeth than any kind of other varieties of shark top top Earth, the diet mainly consists of plankton.
3. Pacific blue sharkNamed for their bright blue coloration, this shark has a long, small body that’s around 10 feet long. This sharks are threatened and also are rarely pursued by other marine life, however, they’re regular victims of bycatch. They feeding on invertebrates choose octopus and squid.
The Oregon coast Aquarium stated the only fatal shark attack to occur in the state remained in 1975. A fishing boat capsized v a couple onboard, 200 mile offshore the Astoria. When the male drowned, the woman was found dead with several shark bites thought to be those that a blue shark. As well as this incident, there has actually never to be a report that a blue shark attacking a human.
4. Broadnose sevengill sharkThese sharks can easily be differentiated by their seven gill slits as most sharks only have five.
Since the 17th century, there are only 5 recorded assaults by the broadnose shark (never in Oregon). They’re only known to be aggressive when feeding, adjustment or provoked.
5. Sixgill sharkThe sixgill shark looks comparable to the sevengill, yet with 6 gills and also striking eco-friendly eyes, according to the Oregon coast Aquarium. Due to the fact that it has a solitary life in deep water, researchers don’t understand much about it, however it’s thought it have the right to live over 80 years.
While there have been no strikes in Oregon, it to be reported that sixgillsharks attacked a submarine with a camera crew within while filming because that “Blue planet 2.”
6. Common thresher shark
This shark grows as much as 20 feet long with an extremely long tail fin. The fin is offered like a whip for defense versus predators and also to catch prey. Despite its size, the shark has small teeth.
7. Leopard shark
It’s basic to spot this shark thanks to its sample of bars and also spots that are all follow me its body. This unique camouflage helps it hide in the sunlight. Leopard sharks are the wanderers of the waters — they often travel an excellent distances without ever revisiting the exact same spot twice.
Since these sharks room pretty shy, castle pose small to no hazard to humans.
8. Pacific angelshark
Angelsharks are discovered on the s floor near rocky reefs and aid forests. Their flat bodies resemble the of beam — however their pectoral finds aren’t attached and also their mouths room in front of the head.
Though they’re not considered dangerous, over there are records of castle biting scuba divers when harassed.
9. Salmon shark
These sharks are discovered in the north Pacific and have an average length of roughly 7 feet long. Lock eat salmon, squid, birds and herring.
Salmon sharks can be kept and also eaten through those who legally catch them, however, they’re typically recorded as bycatch and also discarded. They’re taken into consideration “pests” through fishermen.
10. Shortfin mako shark
This varieties of shark is the faster in the ocean — reaching speeds that 45 miles per hour. That can prosper up to 12 feet long and also weigh 1,200 pounds.
Since they live in deeper waters, they’re generally only threaten to fishermen or divers. According to divers, the sharks swimming in a number eight pattern prior to an attack.
11. School soupfin shark
Meet among Oregon’s little shark species. Many of that fins space tipped in black. It’s likewise known as tope shark, snapper shark and school shark.
Its meat is wealthy in vitamins — do it desirable in both Asian and European markets.
12. Spiny dogfish shark
This shark is considered unusual because of its sharp, poisonous spine directly in prior of that dorsal fins. It also has no anal fin, i beg your pardon is usual on many sharks.
Since they’re fairly small, they’re opportunistic feeders and prefer smaller sized fish.
13. Brown smooth-hound shark
The smooth-hound shark is small and discovered in enclosed, shallow bays. It’s a bottom-dweller the eats crabs, shrimp and little fish.
Since this shark is therefore small, it’s harmless come humans.
There are three varieties of catshark that are indigenous to Oregon: the brown, longnose and also filetale. They get their name from the means their eyes glow when reflecting light.
Little is known about these species, yet they’re thought to it is in a solitary and also nocturnal species.
15. Pacific sleeper shark
This slow-moving shark is uncovered in the cold, deep waters all along the West Coast. If slow, it’s qualified of silent and extreme motion when hunting for octopus, rockfish and also crab. Few of these sharks that have actually been recorded exceed 20 feet and also 8,000 pounds, which is nearly the size of one adult orca.
See more: The Valence Of An Element Or Radical Is A, The Valence Of An Element Or Radical Is A
Little is known around these sharks in Oregon, however their tissue is report to be toxicity to humans due to the existence of trimethylamine.