The fairly recent rediscovery of Hellenistic astrology has led come a renewal in the use of the the majority of Spirit by astrologers, but up until now there has been no frequently agreed ~ above glyph or prize to usage in bespeak to stand for this allude in astrological charts or computer programs.
You are watching: O with vertical line through it
I would favor to rectify this case by suggest a details design for the symbol that must be provided to represent the most Spirit. I have actually included an image of the symbol that I’m proposing come the left that this paragraph.
The price is in reality pretty simple. It is just a circle with a upright line v it, v the line extending just a bit exterior of the one of the circle. This is in reality the sans-serif, capitalized variation of the Greek letter ϕ / phi (usually pronounced as “fee”), and essentially what I’m proposing here is adopting this different of the Greek letter phi together the symbol because that the the majority of Spirit.
In Defense of the suggest Glyph
This is actually something I’ve to be thinking about off and on for a couple of years, and also at this point I think the I have the right to make a pretty an excellent case because that adopting this version of the Greek letter phi together the glyph for the the majority of Spirit. Right here are some of the key points of my argument:
1) every little thing glyph is adopted, it must be rather simple, and also ideally it would certainly be nice if the was straightforward to attract by hand. Also if astrologers don’t typically calculate charts through hand anymore, I see the simplicity that the propose glyph to be one the points that it has actually going in that favor.
3) The Greek letter phi is the an initial letter the the Greek indigenous phos, which means “light”. As I mentioned a couple of years ago in my file on the 7 Hermetic lots, whoever very first came up with the calculations for the many Fortune and also the lot of Spirit seems to have wanted to associate the spirit with the principle of light, and Fortune v the ide of darkness. This is probably due to different Platonic and also Hermetic associations between the body and also darkness, matches the spirit or mind and light. These ideas are embedded in the calculations the each many is predicated on, and also so it would seem fitting to include this subtle referral to that an interpretation in the glyph because that the lot of Spirit.
4) because phi is already a symbol the is integrated into Unicode and also most keyboard layouts, it should be relatively easy to use it or combine it into astrology software application programs. Even in instances when the glyph has actually not been incorporated into the astrology font that software programmers space using, they can simply use the Unicode variation of the Greek letter phi, and that would be a close sufficient approximation to the glyph.
5) modern-day astrologers such as Alan Oken frequently interpret the design of the astrological glyphs together having details symbolic definition based top top the forms they are composed of. Because some the the astrological glyphs were presented from the alchemical heritage in the center Ages, over there is most likely something to be said for this approach. Indigenous a symbolic perspective i would provide this interpretation of the glyph the I’m proposing: The one in the center represents the spirit, or the soul. The vertical line v the middle represents upwards or downwards movement, which could be take away to refer to the ascent and descent of the soul through the planetary spheres, i beg your pardon a common motif in Hellenistic and also Roman philosophical and also spiritual traditions.
6) ns realized after ~ I began thinking about adopting this symbol because that the most Spirit that it currently had a little bit of background behind it, since it was currently used as a placeholder in several of the at an early stage Project hindsight translations to stand for the the majority of Spirit. It was offered in Schmidt and Hand’s translate in of publication 2, component 1 the Valens’ Anthology in 1994, although they offered the serif version of the letter phi, and they didn’t explain their reasons for using this letter. Ns asked Hand around this recently and also he claimed that he couldn’t recall even if it is there was a particular reason why they supplied that symbol for spirit, return he stated that he has continued to usage it due to the fact that then. Together I researched this much more I remembered that another pair of astrologers called Antoine Garth and also Claire-France Perez, who have actually done some occupational on Valens’ lots, followed Schmidt and Hand in using phi as the symbol because that the many Spirit. So, evidently there is currently a little bit of a heritage behind this symbol end the previous 20 years, although the difference here is the I’m trying to it is in a bit more deliberate in making a particular case because that why i think the the letter phi have to be used, and also I’m outlining the details parameters of the symbol for others to adopt.
7) Evidently ϕ is regularly used to stand for the gold ratio in math texts, and a number of other things. Provided Schmidt’s lift in mathematics, i wondered if this wasn’t a contributing element in their using the letter for spirit. I often tend to think that they to be probably simply using it as a placeholder in ~ that point though, due to the fact that their early on translations were supposed to it is in preliminary, and additionally since phi is regularly used in thoughtful texts to represent some generic act.
8) There are two or three various other potential version of the the majority of Spirit glyph that have displayed up in diverted places, although no one of these have ever been extensively adopted, and I would argue that the symbol I’m suggest is an ext appropriate for the factors outlined above. One of the signs is a circle through two wavy lines listed below it, which was in a fifth century horoscope that is questioned in an article by Deborah Houlding. Elsewhere, rob Hand stated to me that the 16th century astrologer Johannes Schoener has actually a glyph because that the lot of Spirit in his message that “looks prefer the part of Fortune but with the external circle partly missing on the right-hand side.” Hand notes the he hasn’t watched this symbol used anywhere else. Finally, an ext recently a set of glyphs for all seven Hermetic too many was introduced by Curtis Manwaring as part of his Delphic Oracle software program program, and also each lot has actually the glyph because that each earth in the middle, through a circle and a overcome in the center in the background. Manwaring’s glyph because that the the majority of Spirit climate is the symbol because that the sunlight with a circle and also a overcome in the background. Ns actually prefer this collection of glyphs come a details extent, and also it is true that the Hellenistic astrologers seem come have connected each the the Hermetic lots v each of the seven planets. I think that the phi glyph the I’m proposing would be a much better alternative for spirit though since it is an ext in keeping with the an ext widely supplied glyph because that the most Fortune that most astrologers usage today, which was depicted above. Additionally, the phi glyph locations the focus of the lot less on the Sun and also instead more on the principle of light in general, which ns think is an ext in keeping with the rationale underlying the many Spirit, if one reverses the calculation because that day and also night charts.
See more: Which Trial Balance Will Consist Of The Greatest Number Of Accounts
There are most likely some added arguments that could be made, however those space really the core ones that I want to do for the function of this post. Ns look front to listening what people think.